1. The $50 bonus gift card per $500 purchase applies only to e-gift cards. Taking advantage of the 10% discount, on the other hand, gets you access to both plastic and e-gift cards. With shipping being waived, you’re not incurring any additional charges for choosing the 10% discount promotion to purchase plastic gift cards. Do keep in mind, though, that plastic gift cards won’t be shipped out until January 5.
2. Plastic gift cards can be purchased in increments of up to $100 while egift cards come in denominations of up to $500.
3. While both promotions appear to offer the same savings (even factoring in the 5% rebate from the Amex OPEN program), that is not the case. Buying $550 in Hyatt gift cards is cheaper through the 10% discount promotion than the $50 bonus card offer. Here is how it breaks down:
10% Hyatt Gift Card Discount
- $550 Hyatt gift card after the 10% discount costs $495
- The 5% Amex OPEN rebate brings the cost down to $470.25 for $550 worth of gift cards
$50 Bonus Gift Card per $500 egift card
- Purchasing a $500 Hyatt egift card comes with a bonus $50 gift card, for a total of $550
- The 5% Amex OPEN rebate brings the cost down to $475 for $550 worth of gift cards
Cardpool is currently offering $467.50 cash for $550 worth of Hyatt gift cards. If you were to sell $550 in Hyatt gift cards to Cardpool, your loss would be lower on the 10% discount ($2.75) than the $50 gift card bonus ($7.50). Even if you’re not looking to resell the gift cards but plan on using them for upcoming travel, you would end up paying less for $550 in Hyatt gift cards with the 10% discount than with the $50 bonus gift promotion.
Those are my two cents on the two Hyatt gift card sales going on right now. It’s a good time to stock up on Hyatt gift cards, especially if you’ve got your travel plans mapped out for next year and plan on staying at Hyatt hotels. Even on an award stay, these gift cards can come in handy for on-site meals, spa treatments, resort fees, etc.
If you’re interested in joining Cardpool, I’ll earn a $5 if you use my referral link (yes, I will probably spend it all in one place). This is a great way to meet some spend on your Amex OPEN cards or save on future Hyatt stays.